20 December, 2014
Paneer Butter Masala – A mouth watering delicacy
Enter into any North Indian Restaurant and you will see Paneer Butter Masala on the top of the menu list. Enter any function or marriage, you will find a separate paneer (cheese) snack stall. People will rush towards this stall and this particular stall would witness a serpentine queue within minutes to savor those majestic lip smacking paneer dishes and snacks.
Even a glimpse of Panner Butter Masala makes a paneer lover hungry even if their stomachs are already stuffed. Any main-course would be incomplete without this famous Punjabi dish.
Not only Panner Butter Masala but anything made with paneer (cheese) tastes awesome whether it is Kadai Paneer, mutter paneer, Palak Paneer, Paneer Bhurji, Paneer Kofta, Paneer Makhani biryani, Paneer Jalfrezi, Paneer Pakora, Paneer Tikka or Paneer Prantha. I am addicted to paneer and can’t imagine surviving without Cheese.
Ingredients for Paneer Butter Masala
|Paneer (cut into cubes)||8 oz or 200-250 grams|
|Tomatoes||3 medium sized chopped|
|Ginger||1½ inch piece|
|Coriander Powder||1 tbsp|
|Red chili powder||½ tsp|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Spices Mixture(Garam Masala)||½ tsp|
|Cumin powder||½ tsp|
|Dry fenugreek leaves||1 tsp|
**Salt as per taste
Directions for a lip smacking Paneer Butter Masala
- In order to make gravy we will first make a paste of ginger, green chilies and tomatoes.
- Cut all the above stated ingredients coarsely and grind to make fine paste in mixture jar (Peel the tomatoes and ginger before you cut and grind them).
- Heat 1tbsp butter in the pan till the time it melts.
- Now add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and sauté them for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Now add the tomatoes-ginger- green chili paste followed by red chili powder and 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves.
- Stir it occasionally till the butter separates from the pan.
- Now add garam masala , cream and salt (as per taste) to the mixture.
- Then add ½ a cup of water and let it boil.
- After the gravy starts boiling add paneer cubes into it.
- (You can also cut paneer into triangular pieces.)
- Cover it with lid and let it cook for 4-5 minutes on a low flame.
- Add rest of butter, mix it well and serve delicious restaurant like Paneer Butter Masala.
- You can add green coriander leaves and crushed black pepper for the seasoning.