12 January, 2016
Easy to prepare tomato chutney – with meals and snacks
Chutney is an integral part of the Indian cuisine. It forms a part of the main cuisine and serves as an essential ingredient with snacks and appetizers. Indians have mastered the art of making chutney from anything and everything available. There are many chutnies which have not only found their fame in India but are famous all across the world. Many chutnies require a lot of effort and quite a few ingredients to get the desired taste and flavor.
Not all chutnies require big efforts. A few chutnies like tomato chutney can be prepared with a few ingredients making it quite popular among the masses. Tomato Chutney is easy to prepare and is quite nutritious because of the ingredients used in it.
Tomatoes themselves are rich in vitamin A, B and C along with iron, phosphorous and potassium. Tomatoes are known to reduce hypertension and increase immunity of a person if had daily in moderate quantities. Many people like to have their meals with tomato chutney everyday thus ensuring their health and well being. Tomato chutney also contains onions and garlic. Onions are known to reduce the bad cholesterol among human beings. Calcium, fiber and folic acid can be found in onion which make tomato chutney all the more nutritious. Garlic used in tomato chutney provides the much needed tangy taste and serves as an ingredient that protects one from cancer and heart diseases.
Read on to prepare this wonderful chutney at home
Ingredients for Tomato Chutney
|Oil||1 tsp oil|
|Gram Pulse||2 tbsp|
|Black Gram Pulse||2 tbsp|
|Onion||2 medium sized|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||8 curry leaves|
|Tomato||2 chopped tomatoes|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Chilies||2 whole dry kashmiri red chili/Green Chili, broken into pieces|
Method to prepare a lip smacking tomato chutney
1) Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, add the gram pulse, black gram pulse and curry leaves on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the Pulses turn light brown in color.
2) Add chopped onions to the pan while keeping the flame on medium level. Saute the mixture for 1 more minute.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
4) Add salt and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5) Allow it to cool completely and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside since we are going to add a tempering to it. Now it is time to prepare tempering for our tomato chutney.
6) Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
7) When the seeds crackle, add the red chilies while keeping the flame on medium take care you don’t burn the seeds and chilies. Keep it on the flame for 30 seconds.
8) Remove from the flame and pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
9) Serve immediately or store in a refrigerator in an air-tight container. Tomato chutney can be stored for two days in the refrigerator.