12 February, 2015
Chana Masala a lip smacking Indian recipe
A fantastic and easy to cook recipe, Chana Masala is my favorite Punjabi cuisine .Made with Chick Peas and other variety of spices this wonderful dish can be eaten with rice or chappatis or naan. On the Indian streets you will see small kiosks selling this chana masala either with kulcha (Chana-Kulcha) or batura (Chana–Batura). You can eat it the way you want.
So let’s make this super delicious & super easy recipe. You are going to love it.
Ingredients for Chana Masala:
|White Chick Peas (garbanzo beans/kabuli chana)||1 bowl|
|Onion, finely chopped||1 large|
|Green Chili, finely chopped||1|
|Coriander Leaves||1 tablespoon chopped|
|Red Chili Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cooking Oil||2-3 tablespoons|
|Salt||As per taste|
Directions for chana masala
Initial Preparations & Boiling
- Wash the chanas completely in water.
- Then, douse them overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- Heat and boil up the chanas with some salt and (1-2 teabags)
in a pressure cooker or a covered skillet with enough water.
- I prefer to use pressure cooker as it takes lesser time (15-20 minutes).
- After it’s cooked, place it in a bowl and keep it aside. Don’t dispose of emptied water, keep it for further use.
- In a blender make a puree by mixing chopped tomatoes, green chili, garlic and chopped ginger.
Tempering (Frying) for Chana Masala
- Heat cooking oil in a pan; add onion and sauté until it turns light brown.
- Add tomato puree and salt to the pan. It is very important to fry it for 5-6 minute till oil starts to separate as this will remove the raw smell of tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dry masala powder.
Finishing stroke while preparing chana masala
- Add the boiled chana, mix it well and then add water. Use the same water which we used to boil the chick peas.
- If that water is not enough or if it is cold, boil the water separately in a pan beforehand and add it to the pan.
- Cover it with lid and allow the mixture to come to boil at a low flame.
- Switch of the flame after it boils and add coriander leaves & onion slices for seasoning.
- Serve super delicious chana masala with bhatura or steamed rice.